A WORD IN YOUR EAR
Last weekend I shared with you at Mass the New Year’s advice given by the The Dalai Lama to his followers some years ago. A number of people asked me for a copy so I thought I would include it in this week’s Grapevine.
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk..
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three Rs :Respect for self - Respect for others - Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
7. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year , go someplace you’ve never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
19. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon
Happy New Year!
LEARNING ABOUT THE MASS WITH KATH AND QUMEN
THE LITURGY OF THE WORD
This part of the Mass is called the Liturgy of the Word. It might be helpful to think of this first part of the Liturgy of the Word as the time when we listen to the story of God’s love for us as it is written in the Bible. We sit down to listen just like we would when we listen to any story. During the first part of the Liturgy of the Word we usually listen to three readings from the Bible:
• The First Reading is usually taken from the Old Testament
• The Psalm is a poem, or song from the Book of Psalms
• The Second Reading is taken from the New Testament
IVERK SHOW AGM
Iverk Show AGM, Monday, January 9. Mass in Piltown Church of the Assumption at 7.30pm then the AGM will take place after Mass in Piltown Community Centre. All members are requested to attend.
MOONCOIN CAMOGIE CLUB
The Camogie Club will hold their AGM on Friday, January 20 at 8pm. All existing and new members are welcome. Anybody interested in training teams, or helping out in the club are welcome to attend, or contact 086 8187675. Players awards will be presented on the night.
MOONCOIN GAA GYM
Gym induction for any intending new members will take place in the gym at 7pm on Monday, January 9. For queries contact 087-1212408.
BIBLE STUDY GROUP
Bible Study Group meeting on Wednesday, January 11 at 8pm in the Nagle Chapel. All Welcome. Contact Sr. Mary 895114
MASSES DURING THE WEEK
Tuesday – Friday: 9.30am
The local conference wish to thank you for your generous support for our Christmas Collection. Thank you also to those who gave private donations, to the Mooncoin GAA Social Club Committee who ran a card game for our funds, Mooncoin GAA Juvenile Club for their donation from the fathers v sons game, the Polerone Quay Committee and the Mooncoin Carol Singers. Your help is very much appreciated. The January Collection takes place on the weekend 14/15. Conference Meeting on Tuesday, January 17 at 8pm.
CLEANERS: Jan 14/21 Bridget Holden, Marcie Foran, Margaret Delahunty, Mabel Hassey.
MINISTERS: Jan 15 (10am) Yvonne Pheasey, Eileen Dowling.
READERS: Jan 15 (10am) Tom & Josephine Jones.
ALTAR SERVERS: Jan 14 - Ciaran & Eimear Quilty.
We commend to your generous prayers, Bridget Meaney, who died recently.
May she Rest in Peace.
William & Kathleen Quinn, Cashel.
Edward & Anastasia Delahunty, Luffany.
James Kenny & Nicholas Walsh, Luffany.
Margaret Delahunty, Luffany. Hannah Roche, Ballygriffin.
Ned & Catherine Power, Old Luffany.
Tommy Talbot, St. Anne’s Terrace.
James O’Brien, Grange. John Cashin, Roseleigh.
Jim Comerford, Clogga. Alice Walsh, Clogga.
Michael Keane, Ballytarsney. Katie Walsh, Ardera.
William Doran, Liverpool & Waterford.
James & Bridie English, Carrick Road.
Babs Hennebry & Family Cloncunny.
May they Rest in Peace.